You can format any write protected USB/Flash Disk Only by just following some steps. It is very difficult to work with Write Protected (read-only) USB/Flash Drives/Pen drives which lets us to copy files but it doesn’t gives us Authority to write or copy any-thing on it. And it is a big disaster if it’s your USB and someone among your friend have done this Write Protection on your USB/Flash Drive/Pen-Drive.
It happens many times that your USB becomes Write Protected because of some reasons, it may be Automatic or it may be manually by some of your Friends for fun. But you don’t have to worry as you can overcome this type of Write-Protection and you can easily format your USB/Flash Drives/Pen drives.
In some cases many of the users don’t know to make their USB/Flash Drives/Pen drives as Read-Only, for that you can refer on How to make USB as read-only. So let’s get started on this trick:
How to Format Write-Protected USB:
How to format write protected USB with Administrator Privileges:
- Login with the administrator account as only administrator account has the privileges to make any USB device Read Only(Windows 7 users).
- Connect the USB device on your Computer or Laptop.
- As the USB device is plugged, right-click on the USB drive and Select its “Properties”.
- Click on the “Security” tab and choose “Edit”.
- Locate the section named “Permissions” and Click inside the Checkbox to Allow the “Read and Write” Permissions.
Click Apply and OK button placed at the bottom of the Properties window. All of your changes will be saved. Once done the USB drive will not function as “Read Only” and you can easily format your USB/Flash Drive/Pen Drives. If this method doesn’t works for you then you can try other methods also.
How to format write protected USB with Registry:
- Click Start and select Run(or press Windows key + r) and then type regedit.
- Once the registry is displayed, Locate at these folders.
- Search for the sub-directory under “Control\” to check if a key named StorageDevicePolicies does exists.
- Check for the entry as WriteProtect.
There are 2 important values: 0 and 1.
O = write processes and 1 = block the access.
- Write the value as 0 to enable Write Process and click on OK.
- Once done, close the registry and restart the system for changes to take effect. After the system is restarted do a login and insert the USB device. The Access level will be removed as Read only and you can format it.
Note: If you don’t find such keys or Folders then you can go for other Methods.
How to format write protected USB with Softwares:
If you don’t like to remove your USB/Flash drives as write protection manually then you can also use the Software for Removing Write-Protection from your USB/Flash Drives and format it Easily.
1. USB Write Protector:
USB WriteProtector enables or disables the write protection for all USB devices of the running system, e.g. USB sticks or external USB hard disks.
2. Phrozen Safe USB:
Phrozen Safe USB is a tiny tool that allows you to control your USB Device Status. Normally an USB Device is rather unsafe because it is designed to interact with your computer. With Phrozen Safe USB you can make your USB Device fully operational, can set it in read only mode (can’t modify/write) or you can disable USB Device altogether in just one click from the tray.
These are the best software for removing Write-Protection from your USB/Flash drives. You can go for other softwares also as there are many Softwares to do this for you.
How to format write protected USB with Physical Swith:
- Some USB drives and Memory cards have a physical lock switch that allows you to lock drive and prevent any changes.
- Examine the USB drive or Memory card closely.
- If you can find the switch, switch it to the other side to turn off its protection.
Note: These Switch’s are usually on the Left Side of your USB Dives.
By using any of these methods you will be able to Remove Write-Protection from your USB/Flash Drive/Pen Drive easily
Note: If any of the Method Doesn’t work for you then your USB may be Corrupted and you should go for a new one.
Don’t forget to Give your valuable comments..