You can make your USB device read-only to prevent others from using it as they can make changes to your USB drive files or preventing Malwares or Viruses from entering your USB which can harm your USB files. You can also prevent USB from your computer, which would not detect any USB when Connected on your Microsoft Windows.
This method can help your USB drives such as Pen drives or external hard disks to be read-only. There is one more method by which you cannot detect any of the USB when you connect your USB with your computer, when you disable the USB permissions on your computer.
In today’s world virus attacks are rising so much that USB devices are becoming highly prone to these attacks and causing harm to your overall computer system. Although, in the corporate sector so many employees share the same computer and use these USB storage devices for moving data. The only way to prevent all these issues is to make your USB storage devices read only.
You can use any of the method from the three Methods for making your USB/Flash drive as read only. Also check → How to format write protected USB. So lets get started with this Trick on:
How to Make USB Read only:
How to Make USB Read only with Administrator Privilages:
- Login with the administrator account as only administrator account has the privileges to make any USB device Read Only.
- Connect the USB device on your Computer or Laptop.
- As the USB device is plugged, right-click on the USB drive and Select its “Properties”.
- Click on the “Security” tab and choose “Edit”.
- Locate the section named “Permissions” and Click inside the Checkbox to deny the “Read and Write” Permissions.
Click Apply and OK button placed at the bottom of the Properties window. All of your changes will be saved. Once done the USB drive will be set as Read Only.
How to Make USB Read only with Registery:
- Click Start and select Run and then type regedit.
- Once the registry is displayed, Locate at these folders.
- Search for the sub-directory under “Control\” to check if a key named StorageDevicePolicies does exists.
- If the key does not exist then create a new one by placing a right-click on Control\ directory.
- A ‘Dropdown menu’ will be displayed then Choose New → Key.
- Check for the entry as WriteProtect and If the entry is absent then, make a right-click on the right window and select New eventually followed by DWORD.
There are 2 important values: 0 and 1.
O = write processes and 1 = block the access.
- Write the value as 1.
- Once done, close the registry and restart the system for changes to take effect. After the system is restarted do a login and insert the USB device. The access level will be set as read only.
Note: This method is complicated as it assigns write protections to some specific USB/Flash Dives only.
How to Make USB Read only with Softwares:
If you don’t like to make your USB/Flash drives as write protected then you can also use the Software for Making Read-Only USB/Flash Drives.
1. USB Write Protector:
USB WriteProtector enables or disables the write protection for all USB devices of the running system, e.g. USB sticks or external USB hard disks.
2. Phrozen Safe USB:
Phrozen Safe USB is a tiny tool that allows you to control your USB Device Status. Normally an USB Device is rather unsafe because it is designed to interact with your computer. With Phrozen Safe USB you can make your USB Device fully operational, can set it in read only mode (can’t modify/write) or you can disable USB Device altogether in just one click from the tray.
These are the best software for making your USB/Flash drives as Read-Only. You can go for other softwares also as there are many Softwares to do this for you.
You can also watch a Video on it →
By choosing any of these methods you can make your USB/Flash Drives “Read-Only”.
Don’t forget to Give your valuable comments..